This piece will be focused on facts about the most populous nation in Africa, Nigeria. As the name implies the most populous nation in Africa is Nigeria. Nigeria happens to be the biggest black nation in the world and the most populous nation in Africa and West Africa at large.
Nigeria is one of the most interesting nation in Africa and the nation as so many interesting and amazing history and facts. Thou the nation Nigeria as so many historical facts, but for the purpose of this write up will be focusing on the best 30 facts about Nigeria.
Some Interesting facts about Nigeria
- One of the most interesting fact about this nation called Nigeria will be her population. Nigeria is one of the largest nation in Africa and the most populous nation in Africa. The country has one of the most interesting figure when it comes to her population, the nation is estimated to have a population of about 180 million, making it the biggest black nation on planet earth.
- Another interesting fact about Nigeria happens to be its prowess is sport, Nigeria is one of the most successful black nation when it comes to sporting activity. The nation have won several laurel in different sporting activity like football, athletics, table tennis and other sports.
Especially when it comes football Nigeria has won several major competition such as the Africa cup of nation, Olympic football gold medal and the under seventeen world cup tournament.
- Nigeria have three major religion being practised by its citizen, and the religion is basically Christianity, Islamic and traditional practice.
- Nigeria has one of his nationals as one of the richest man in Africa in the person of Aliko Dangote, Dangote is the richest man in Africa and also the richest man in Nigeria.
- Apart from Dangote being the richest man in Africa and Nigeria, The country also as three of its citizens among the top 100 richest person in the world according to Forbes magazines.
- Nigeria has on its shores the largest church auditorium in the world by the name the living faith church worldwide, the auditorium is a 50,000 church capacity.
- Nigeria also has produced the top richest pastors in the world according to Forbes and they are namely Bishop David Oyedepo, Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, Pastor Adeboye.
- Nigeria is also been referred to as Giant of Africa because of its size, geographical location and population.
- Nigeria has 3 major ethnic group namely Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo, the Yoruba ethnic group is mostly found in the western part of the country, the Hausa ethnic group is found in the Northern part of the country while the Ibo is found in the Eastern part of the country.
- Nigeria apart from having 3 major ethnic group also have about 250 ethnic group in the country.
- Nigeria also have been viewed by the international body has one of the most corrupt nation in the world, because of its activity of fraud in the international world.
- Nigeria apart from producing the richest man in Africa also produced the richest women in Africa in the name of Folorunsho Alakija
- The country apart from having about 250 ethnic group in the country also have about 500 language being spoken in the country.
- Looking at the colonization of Nigeria, so many country in Africa were colonized by France, Portuguese but Nigeria was colonized by the British.
- Nigeria remains the first country in Africa to build the tallest building in the continent, the building was built in 1965 and was named the Cocoa House located in Ibadan.
- Nigeria began the use of currency and the currency was introduced as a legal tender in 1959
- The country Nigeria was named the most populous nation in the world
- The major occupation in Nigeria is Agriculture, it has 70% of its population engaging in Agriculture.
- The largest river in west Africa passed through Nigeria and it’s called River Niger
- Nigeria belong to two prominent union namely member of the British Commonwealth and Africa Union
- The prestigious Nigeria flag was designed in 1959
- The Nigeria National was designed by Taiwo Akinkunmi
- The Nigeria film industry called Nollywood is the second largest film industry in the world coming behind Bollywood
- Nigeria has the largest bridge in Africa named the Third mainland bridge
- Nigeria attained her independence from the British in October 1, 1960
- After attaining her independence in 1960, the country became a republic in 1963
- The first building in was built in Nigeria in the city of Badagry
- Nigeria produced the first black beauty in Africa to win the miss world by the name Agbani Darego
- Nigeria is the first footballing nation in Africa to win a Gold medallist in the football competition at the Olympics
- Nigeria also remains the African country with the biggest economy in the continent with various sectors in the economy.
This are some of the interesting facts about Nigeria. That is worth knowing; do not hesitate to share and drop your suggestion in the comment area below.