Egg Tomato Sauce is a popular Nigerian sauce meal made with tomatoes, eggs, peppers, vegetable oil, onions, and a nibble of natural sweetener (Knorr, Maggi, Royco, etc.) Some people have chosen to add a bunch of vegetables and fluted pumpkin (ugu) is often the most popular choice.
Egg sauce is normally served with yam in Nigeria. That’s why it’s called yam sauce sometimes. I rarely see rice with sauce being served to people. Nevertheless, it may happen, but not often. The fact is, whichever way you want to eat it, the sauce is mouthwatering.
This particular meal will be quick. If you’re new to Nigerian cuisine and want to begin with the simple but delicious recipes, I’d recommend you start here. It requires using about six different ingredients and less than 20 minutes of preparation time.
Egg Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 3 eggs.
- 2 spoons sliced pepper
- Vegetable oil (200ml).
- 2 cups of sliced fresh tomatoes.
- Sliced pepper for taste.
- 1 cup of sliced onions.
- 1 cube of maggi or knorr.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 spoons of Sliced Green Peppers (optional)
In addition, there are two methods to do this. A lot of tomatoes and just about 2 eggs can be used. I like using about 3 eggs as well as about two cups of sliced tomatoes, so in this recipe, there are more eggs. With just two eggs, you can use 4 cups of sliced tomatoes; preparation takes just the same measure.
To make the preparation as easy as possible we have listed a step-by-step guide to help you. It supposed to make food a lot easier if you have an idea of what it should look like at all times.
How to Make Egg Tomato Sauce for Yam
- Cut the tomatoes, onions, and peppers in the plate you provided below. With a sharp knife and chopping board, you can do this instantly.
- Put the frying pan to fire and add only 200 ml of oil (olive oil or vegetable), allow to add the sliced tomatoes/onions/peppers for one minute. It’s better if you have a frying pan that is non-stick.
- Allow 10-15 minutes to fry this. You would not want to end up with burnt tomatoes, note to always mix.
- When fried properly, apply salt to taste. Add half a cube of knorr or Maggi as well. It’d finally look like this. That’s what you get when you try and make yam egg sauce.
- In a separate plate, beat the eggs. Add a little salt and pour over the frying mixture of tomato/onion/pepper. Let it take a minute, then turn it. Try breaking smaller sizes of the crumbs.
- Frying Egg Sauce If you like, you can add a handful of fluted leaves of pumpkin (ugu) by sprinkling.
- Try breaking it into further tiny crumbs to get the picture above (as shown above). That’s the way to make yam egg sauce. I said you can also use pasta or even spaghetti to serve this sauce.
Hope you found these steps beneficial in making your yummy and delicious egg tomato sauce? drop your comments below.