Puff puff is that tasty, deeply fried flour snack which is very popular in Nigeria.
It is usually very soft and spongy.
The making of puff puff snacks can either be easy or tough. Although the mixing seems quite simple, you really need to follow the necessary steps if not,it will look complicated to you.
If you intend making 25 balls of pop off snack you will need the following ingredients:
Puff Puff Recipes
- Plain flour of about 2 cups
- You will need yeast: the type used in bread baking, at least 2 teaspoons.
- You will also need powder nutmeg of 1/2 teaspoon.
- Sugar half cup
- A little amount of salt
- Water for mixing preferably warm water
- Vegetable Oil
There are certain steps you need to follow when making your puff puff, so below I have outlined a step by step process which you can apply in the making of puff puff.
- Put the flour in a bowl, add the ground nutmeg, powdered yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix all these together.
- Pour the measured flour into a clean bowl, pour in the powder nutmeg, then add your powdered yeast, add sugar and finally a little amount of salt.
- Now mix all that you have poured into the bowl together,
- Start adding water little by little and keep mixing with your hand until all the ingredients are properly mixed and very smooth, meanwhile, don’t let it become watery.
- Now get an aluminum foil to perfectly cover the bowl, you can even fold the aluminum foil around the edges of the bowl in order to make sure that air doesn’t penetrate through into the flour mix.
- After this, leave the flour mix and allow it to rise for a minimum of 45 minutes. By now, you may notice that the flour mix has increased in size and you are likely to see some air bubbles on the flour.
- Now, put groundnut oil into a deep pot and leave it to heat up for some time.
- Make sure the oil is hot before you start frying, you can check this by putting a little of the flour mix into the oil. If the oil is hot the little dough you put in will rise quickly to the top, but if the oil is not hot yet, the dough will stay down.
- When you are sure the oil is really hot, start frying the flour mix using your hand to put some of the dough into the oil pressing the dough through your thumb and index finger so as to get a spherical shape.
- Put only the amount that the pot can accommodate do not overcrowd the pot. As soon as you notice the under part of the puff puff is now golden brown, then flip the puff puff to the other side so that the other part will be fried too. When both sides are golden brown, bring the puff puff out with a sieve-like spoon.
In order to make sure the puff puff doesn’t soak a lot of oil, place tissue papers or serviettes inside your sieve so as to drain some oil from the puff puff.