Zobo is a Hausa word used for Hibiscus flower; a plant that is both edible and of great benefit to human health.
Zobo drink is a well-known beverage in Nigeria usually made from dry Roselle plant flowers.
In the Caribbean, Zobo is often referred to as Sorrel drink.
In Australia, it is referred to as Rosella , While Ghanaians call it Sobolo.
Zobo drink Recipe
In making Zobo drink of about 5 litres measurement, you will need the following ingredients:
- First,you need at least 2 De Rica measurement of dry zobo leaves.
- You also need a glove of garlic,
- 1 big sized ginger
- A big Pineapple ( very ripe one).
- Good amount of water.
Note that you may need to add more water if you are adding artificial flavors such as pineapple flavor or jolly juice.
You can add sliced orange, lemon, or lime.
Before you start cooking the zobo leaves, first, wash the dry leaves thoroughly in cold water until you are certain there are no more dust attached to the leaves.
You may be thinking that you have washed away all the rich flavors and color in the leaves but no, the nutrients are still intact, so don’t worry. You will find out that the colour and flavor in the zobo leaves are still there by the time you start boiling the leaves.
Next, wash the body of your pineapple, peel it, and then cut the pineapple into small slices.
Some people even add the back of the pineapple fruit into their zobo drink while boiling it but this is left for you to decide on. However, it is optional and not compulsory.
As soon as you are done with the above, peel the ginger and garlic, then cut them into very small sizes.
Zobo Drink preparation
Now to the making of Zobo drink;
- Put all the zobo leaves that you have washed into a deep pot which can contain it.
- Next, add the pineapple slices with the leaves in the pot,
- Then pour enough water into the pot, make sure the water covers the leaves and pineapple in the pot.
- Now place the pot on a good source of heat and leave it to boil for at least 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add your ginger and garlic into the pot, also add more water and let it keep boiling for not less than 30 minutes so as to ensure that the zobo leaves and pineapple are completely tender.
- As soon as the zobo is cool, bring out the zobo leaves and squeeze out the juice in the pineapple slices and bring out the pineapples also, then leave the zobo juice only in the pot.
- Now, pour out the zobo juice into a sieve with a bowl properly placed under, so as to sieve out any particle left in the juice, also to totally take out all unwanted particle in the juice,i suggest that you use a piece of clean chiffon material too.
- At this point, you can now add any artificial flavor and stir.
Finally, pour the juice into bottles and put them in a refrigerator. Zobo drink is best enjoyed when it is chilled.