It was on this earth that men met pepper; pepper did not meet us on earth, so when we are talking about Ofada stew let us give respect to that which respect is due-PEPPER.
Ofada stew has to be peppery to have that needed effect because of its Yoruba link, so when we think of Ofada stew, we must realize that pepper is the main actor and every other ingredient are just supporting casts.
- Fresh Pepper
- Fresh Tomatoes (half of pepper content)
- Diced/Minced cooked meat
- Palm oil
- Locust beans
- First you blend your pepper, tomato and onions but don’t over blend.
- Next, you dice some onions.
- Next, you heat the palm oil on fire for about 5/8minutes.
- Add the diced onions and locust beans, allow fry for 2minutes
- Pour the blended peppers and allow fry.
- Pour the minced/Diced meat/fish/ponmo (depends on choice)
- Add salt or seasoning for taste.
- Allow to fry for 10/15 minutes.
Ofada is locally produced rice in Nigeria that is known as a healthy meal and it is most times stated that it may be anti-diabetic, unlike other rice.
Ofada rice is mainly a type of rice grown in the southwest part of Nigeria, Ogun state precisely and it is named after the town where it is mostly produced.
Ofada rice is unpolished and is priced higher than most available rice; this might be due to the fact that it is aromatic while normal white rice isn’t.
Ofada rice is a treat in southwest Nigeria and recently, it has grown in fame as it is almost fashionable and trendy to have Ofada rice prepared in any event or outing.
The preparation of Ofada rice is most times different from the way we cook and boil other rice, Ofada rice has a distinct smell when being cooked and if not cooked properly, the smell might irritate the person cooking it but it is a delicious and healthy meal for anyone that loves rice.
Ofada stew is a delicious peppery stew that is specially made to complement the local taste of Ofada rice, the stew itself can be used to complement other foods but it is best enjoyed with the Ofada rice delicacy.
The peppery taste of the stew makes the taste buds appreciate the Yoruba cravings for pepper even more.
OFADA RICE AS A HEALTHY MEAL
- Ofada rice is good for bone health because it has essential minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and foliate.
- Ofada rice helps lowers bad cholesterol in the body system as a result of its high fiber content that lowers LDL cholesterol levels.
- Ofada rice boosts immunity with the presence of Vit. A, C and E.
- Ofada rice also contains a lot of antioxidants that helps prevent damages to the body system, damages caused by free radicals.
- Like I stated earlier, it is anti-diabetic, it helps fight diabetes.
So in all you do, include ofada rice in your diet, we can all see that it is not just delicious food but also a healthy meal.