HOW TO MAKE BANGA SOUP
For all lovers of good quality soups, I will be teaching you how to make and prepare three soup delicacies namely Banga, Ogbono and Oha soups.
The first we will be looking at is Banga Soup, we will be looking at ingredients used to prepare this delicacy and how to prepare it.
Banga Soup is a native Nigerian soup also known as OFE AKWU, the soup is popular among the Niger delta and southeastern part of Nigeria. The soup is commonly used to eat Fufu, Pounded yam, Semolina and Garri.
INGREDIENT USED TO MAKE BANGA SOUP
- 1 kg palm fruits or 800 g palm fruit concentrate
- Dry fish and stock fish
- Vegetables: scent leaves for ofe akwu or dried and crushed bitter leaves for delta styled banga soups
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoon ground crayfish
- Salt and chilli pepper to taste
- Ogiri okpes ( IRU)
WHAT TO DO BEFORE YOU START COOKING
- Get the palm fruit concentrate from the palm fruit
- Cook beef and dry fish with one bulb of diced onion and stock cubes
- Wash then chop or cut the scent leaves into tiny pieces
- Cut the remaining bulb of onion pound with crayfish, ogiri and pepper in a mortar.
HOW TO COOK THE BANGA SOUP
- Put the pot of palm fruit extract on the stove and start cooking, leave to boil till you notice it turns red
- Now add beef, dry fish, onions, crayfish and pepper leave to boil
- Add scent leaves, vegetables and salt to taste leave to simmer for 2 minutes and its done and ready to be eaten with any swallow.
HOW TO MAKE OGBONO SOUP
Ogbono soup also known as draw soup which makes eating swallow like fufu, garri and likes easy to eat.
INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE OGBONO SOUP
- Assorted meat and fish
- 2 handful ogbono seed
- 3 cooking spoon of red palm oil
- 2 tablespoon grounded crayfish
- Pepper and salt
- 1 onion
- 2 stock seasoning cubes
HOW TO MAKE OGBONO SOUP
- Pour the palm oil into a dry stainless steel pot that’s clean
- lower the heat once melted and add ground ogbono
- When Ogbono pounded has completely mix with oil and add meat and fish
- Stirring till ogbono has completely absorbed
- Add small quantity of hot water and stir till ogbono has absorbed all water
- After 20 minutes ogbono should be well cooked and you will begin to have a nice flavour
- Add pepper, salt and meat to taste, and it ready to be served with any swallow.
HOW TO MAKE OHA SOUP
Our soup is a delicacy among the southeastern people of Nigeria, and it is a traditional soup similar to the bitter leaf soup.
INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE OHA SOUP
- Eight small cocoyam
- Three cooking spoon red palm oil
- Assorted beef
- Assorted fish
- Chilli pepper, salt, and crayfish
- Two stock cubes
HOW TO PREPARE OHA SOUPS
- Boil shaki, stock fish and dry fish
- Wash the beef and add to pot of shaki
- Add pepper, ogiri, ground crayfish and cook for 10 minutes
- Cover the pot and leave to cook on high heat
- Add Oha leaf and leave to cook for about 5 minutes
- Add salt to taste, stir the soup and leave for 2 minutes and its ready to eat.
I hope by now you should have no issues when next you want to cook any of these 3 soups.