The doughnut business is currently booming and it increases in growth yearly. A research in 2018 reported that this donut industry generates revenue of $16 billion yearly due to huge franchises like Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, and Winchell’s.
Beauty competition in the doughnut things industry the sales have increased tremendously even though the ingredients required to make this product is very cheap. This doughnut business model is very cheap and easy to maintain.
Now the question is how can individuals who want to venture into smaller scale doughnut business do it even without having a huge budget that their major competitors possessive the industry?
One thing I know for sure is that this post provides you with all the necessary knowledge and tools needed to start a doughnut business.
Just like chinchin business, this doughnut production business is highly profitable. this is because people like to eat it as a supplement when they are hungry because it fills the belly just like bread does. Bread and doughnuts have something in common wishes the yeast used in preparing it for rising and when baking.
Doughnut serves as a snack that might be taken during lunchtime or whenever and for some people, it is seen as food.
doughnut stops hunger because if you can take it with a bottle of Coke or any soft drink you might not have the space to take another meal again. Do you know what is fast food and it also serves as a desert during Nigerian occasions like wedding ceremonies, birthday parties, naming ceremonies, and cocktails.
The doughnut is being consumed by both children and adults and it has a very high demand. It’s only a few people that do it for the commercial purpose and even those that do, do it in a small quantity. Just like all the snacks that give massive profits this business is very lucrative because you can gain over 80% profit.
There are different types of doughnuts and the ones bakers are producing with enticing design makes it irresistible not to get one for yourself. these days they had different kinds of flavor to the doughnut, it could be vanilla strawberry and some jellies. Some use chocolate and while some apply colors of a different kind and this makes the doughnut more appealing to the eye.
tools begin a professional doughnut business you have to get trained or attend the catering School in other to learn how to make it from a professional.
Recipe for doughnut business
- Flour 4 cups (400g)
- Milk 5 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Yeast 2 tablespoons
- Margarine 50g
- Egg (raw) 1
- Water 10 tablespoon
- Oil for frying
Procedures in making doughnut
- Dissolve your 5 tablespoons of powdered milk in 420ml water, if you’re using powdered milk.
- The next thing you should do is to add yeast in a bowl and afterward add flour (5 tablespoons).
- Add 10 tablespoons of warm water and stir together.
- Cover the bowl and keep it in a warm environment to allow it to double and rise.
- You have to set it aside and allow it to form small bubbles.
- Bring another bowl, add the flour that is remaining.
- Put salt, sugar and mix it.
- Put warm milk, egg, melted butter, the start, and turn it till it mixes well for like 10 minutes.
- put the sticky dough that you folded into a ball and use a clean napkin or nylon to cover it.
- Leave it for at least one hour so the dough will double the size.
- When the prepared dough has risen what you have to do is to sprinkle flour on your working source or table.
Then use your palm to flatten the dough. Apply flour on the day that you have flattened.
- use a round object or biscuit cutter to cut out the flattened or in the doughnut round.
- Allow the dough to rise for like 20 minutes.
- Set your pots on fire then add it oil, allow you to get very hot then Fry The doughnut for at least a minute per side.
- Bring out the doughnuts and keep it in a sieve for the oil to get drained.
- When it’s cold then you know your doughnut is ready for consumption.
- The next thing you should do is to roll the doughnut in sugar or spray sugar on top or if you want to add any design all flavor you can do that in any way you prefer.
Reasons to venture into doughnut business
there are several reasons why you should invest in this doughnut business and I will explain them to you.
- In this business, you can either go large-scale or small-scale. if you’re going small-scale this is a business that you can usually start up from your home and this does not require much start-up capital.
- The doughnut business just like other snacks business is not capital intensive, at least not as high as the bread bakery business which is expensive.
- This doughnut businesses market ready because the demands are very high and people always want to feel their belly to avoid hunger which makes doughnuts a perfect choice for them.
- you don’t need much knowledge to start up this business with the steps provided above you can easily begin your first production of doughnuts.
- The doughnut is known to have a high-profit margin.
- It is also very easy to expand this business.
Capital for doughnut business
The capital that is required to start up this business depends on the scale you want to venture into as I mentioned earlier you can either start up a small scale or large scale.
if you’re starting on a smaller scale the new required and affordable capital of N20,000 to start but if you’re starting on a larger scale than you require a doughnut factory and all that and the list for that would be N200,000 depending on your location.
You can easily start selling on a small scale by selling your products to your relatives, colleagues, friends, neighbors, church members, and if your product is really good and tasty they will come back for more and even refer lots of that friends to you. You might also step up once you start having high client days to supplying these products to some retailers.
You can also market your business online by using your social media handles.