We might not have discussed it but I would like to bring to your attention a very special business that yields a lot of money that most people don’t know about.
Yam is a staple food that is cherished by lots of people and it’s not to be one of the most consumed food after cassava. Yam is known to be an annual or perennial crop that is cultivated solely for sales and consumption purposes but majorly for the tubers.
The botanical name of yam is known as Dioscorea Spp.
Yam is a tuber bearing plant that is climbing in nature. People love eating yam and several ways and different recipes but with the changes that are occurring in today’s world, most people now want processed yam flour that will make life easier for them. Every agricultural investor needs to jump on this opportunity before it gets late.
Yam flour market
You don’t need to worry about who you will sell your yam flour to because it is already in high demand and several people needed due to several factors like lack of time, quick preparation, convenience, and increase in population.
It is also being used a lot by housewives who have the hands filled up with several activities and the home. it is also mostly used by Career housewives that have a lot of work to handle like work issues and family chores.
Yam flour is known to be very popular among the Yorubas and it’s said to be one of the best food they take. It is called elubo in Yoruba. They are known to be prepared differently while one is prepared from the peels on the back of yam, the other is being prepared from the white flesh of yam and the Peel is not included. Currently, business startups are into food and packaging it which makes it looks more classical and give it a unique name like poundo.
It is a known fact that over 30% of yam tubers that are harvested got wasted because of some factors like the issue of mechanism that will be used in preservation and procession of them, also lack of equipment is a major problem. so currently the best ways by which you could preserve your yam is the conversion to flour.
Even though before now there are traditional ways of preservation and processing yam but even the low scale production cannot meet up to the increased demand. The demand is huge for both export and local consumption. Statistics show that 90 to 95% of yam production in the world is being accounted for solely in West Africa with Nigeria leading the list of producers.
Yam flour processing business can easily be started by this two types of production;
Small-scale production and large-scale production with the major determinants being your capital.
Required items for large-scale yam flour processing
- Industrial dryer
- Milling machine
- Slicing machine
- Automatic packing machine
- sealing machine
- Storage racks
- Weighing scale
- NAFDAC registration
- Properties such as housing, land, or renting
here in Nigeria if it requires a lot of money especially in millions to start up this business on a large scale so the least you can use for your capital would be N10 million. but for you to reduce this cost you have to look for locally manufactured machines that will be cheaper. It will be very wise for you to reach out to FIRO who are the winners of locally fabricated processing machinery and equipment that are needed to process any kind of flour.
After payment, you will get your machinery delivered in any kind of size that you prefer be it micro, small, or medium. These machines can also be used in processing other kinds of foods like beans flour, cassava flour, and plantain flour.
For you to export your yam then you have to make use of beast machines in order to increase their efficiency, neatness, and bulk production.
Steps to process yam flour
- Choose the yams that are suitable for you but make sure they are fresh and alright
- wash and rinse the am very well with water to make sure there are no impurities in it.
- Use sharp knife or a machine to peel it.
- Cut the yam into slices or pellets just as you like or according to your machine.
- Use hot water to parboil the yam for about 15 minutes.
- Used industrial dryer machine to dry the yam and remove moisture.
- Make use of the milling machine to grind the yam into powder.
- Package the yam flour as you like for sale.
Processing yam flour locally
here are some items that are required in order to process them in a small quantity:
- During dry season use a racket to spread your sliced yam outside to dry.
- Make use of the dry machine during the rainy season
- Grinding machine
- Sealing machine
- Nylon or containers
Procedures to process locally
- You have to wash the yam so that there will be no dirt
- slice the yam into smaller sizes.
- Go outside and spread the sliced yam for the sun to heat it up.
- Dry them till they’re well dried.
- However, you can only use this method during the dry season but you require a drying machine during the rainy season and that is the most needed equipment for the small-scale production.
- Use a commercial machine to grind your yam to powder but if you want to purchase a commercial machine and you will have to budget N100000.
- Sieve the yam flour then package it into a container for sale.
Materials needed for yam flour production business in Nigeria
the raw material that is required for both the large-scale and small-scale production business is yam. For you to be able to succeed in this business you have to purchase yams in large quantities. There are States in Nigeria where there are major producers of yam;
These are states like Adamawa, Taraba, Benin, Edo, Cross River, Kaduna, Ogun, Delta, Oyo, Ondo, and Osun states.
when you are done with your yam processing you can easily market your products to men and women, hotels, restaurants, shops, supermarkets, and others and you can also make use of online portals to reach a wider audience.