Nigeria is one of the countries in the world that has a very high number of indigenous languages.
Although the English language has been adopted as the official language in Nigeria, these other languages are still very much alive in different regions and states of the country.
Listed below are the indigenous languages in Nigeria and the locations where they are spoken.
List of All Nigerian Languages
1. The Abayon Language – is spoken by the Cross River indigenes.
2. The Abua (Odual) Language is spoken by the people of Rivers
3. The Achipa (Achipawa) Language is spoken by the Kebbi people.
4. The Adim Language is used by the Cross Rivers indigenes.
5. Adun Language is widely used in the conversation of the Cross River people.
6. Affade Language is the native tongue of the Yobe people.
7. Afizere Language is used in communicating among the Plateau people.
8. Afo Language is another language spoken by the plateau indigenes.
9. Agbo Language belongs to the cross-river people.
10. Akajuk Language is commonly spoken by the cross River people.
11. Anyima language belongs to
the Cross River people.
12. Arago language is commonly used by the Plateau people.
13. Akweya Yachi Language is mostly spoken by Benue people
14. Amo is a language spoken by plateau people.
15. Anaguta is also a language spoken by plateau indigenes.
16. Anang: This is a language spoken by Akwa Ibom indigenes.
17. Andoni: This language is spoken by both Rivers and Akwa Ibom indigenes.
18. Angas: This language is used communication in three states which are: Jigawa, Bauchi and Plateau.
19. Ankwei: This is the language of the people of Plateau state.
20. The Attakar (ataka) Language belongs to the people of Kaduna state.
21. Auyoka (Auyokawa) language is spoken in Jigawa state.
22. Awori is a language spoken by indigenes of Lagos and Ogun State.
23. Ayu is a language spoken by the indigenes of Kaduna State.
24. Babur is a language used by the indigenes of Adamawa, Taraba, Yobe and Borno State.
25. Bachama belongs to the indigenes of Adamawa State.
26. Bachere is spoken by the Cross River people.
27. Bada is a language spoken by the Plateau people.
28. Bade language belongs to the people of Yobe state.
29. Bahumono language is a native language of Cross River indigenes.
30. Bakulung language belongs to the people of Taraba State.
31. Bali language is another local language spoken by the Taraba people.
32. Bambora (Bambarawa) language is mostly used by people of Bauchi state.
33. Bambuko language is spoken in Taraba State.
34. Banda (Bandawa) language is also spoken in Taraba State.
35. Banka (Bankalawa)is a language spoken by Bauchi indigenes.
36. Banso (Panso) language is used in Adamawa.
37. Bara (Barawa) language is used in Bauchi
38. Barke language is used in Bauchi
39. Buba (Barba) language is used in Niger
40. Bashiri (Bashirawa) language is used in Plateau
41 Bassa language is used in Kaduna, Niger, Plateau Kogi.
42. Batta language is used in Adamawa
43. Baushi language is used in Niger
44. Baya is used in Adamawa
45. Bekwarra is used in Cross River
46. Bele (Buli, Belewa) is spoken in Bauchi
47. Betso (Bete) is a language used in Taraba
48. Bette is used in Cross River
49. Bilei is used in Adamawa
50. Bille is used in Adamawa
51. Bina (Binawa) is used in Kaduna
52. Bini is used in Edo
53. Birom is used in Plateau
54. Boki (Nki) is spoken in Cross River
55. Bkkos is spoken in Plateau
56. Boko (Bussawa, Bargawa) is spoken in Niger
57. Bole (Bolewa) is spoken in Bauchi and Yobe
58. Botlere is spoken in -Adamawa
59.Boma (Bomawa, Burmano) is spoken in Bauchi
60. Bomboro is used in Bauchi
61. Buduma is a language used in Borno and Niger
62. Buji language is used in Plateau
63. Buli language is used in -Bauchi
64. Bunu language is used in Kogi
65. Bura language is used in Adamawa
66. Burak languages used in Bauchi
67 Burma (Burmawa) language is spoken in -Plateau
68. Buru language is used in Yobe
69. Buta (Butawa) language is used in Bauchi
70. Bwall language is spoken in Plateau
71. Bwatiye language is spoken in Adamawa
72. Bwazza is spoken in Adamawa
73. Challa language is used in Plateau
74. Chama (Chamawa Fitilai) language is spoken in Bauchi
75. Chamba language is used in Taraba
76. Chamo language is used in Bauchi
77. Chibok (Chibbak) language is spoken in Yobe
78. Chinine language is used in Borno
79. Chip language is used in Plateau
80. Chokobo is used in Plateau
81. Chukkol is used in Taraba
82. Daba language is used in Adamawa
83. Dadiya language is spoken in Bauchi
84. Daka language is spoken in Adamawa
85. Dakarkari language is used in Niger and Kebbi
86. Danda (Dandawa) language is used in Kebbi
87. Dangsa language is used in Taraba
88. Daza (Dere, Derewa) language is used in Bauchi
89. Degema language is used in Rivers
90. Deno (Denawa) is used in Bauchi
91. Dghwede language is used in Borno
92. Diba language is used in Taraba
93. Doemak (Dumuk) language is used in Plateau
94. Ouguri language is used in Bauchi
95. Duka (Dukawa) language is used in Kebbi
96. Duma (Dumawa) language is used in Bauchi
97. Ebana (Ebani) language is spoken in Rivers
98. Ebirra (lgbirra) language belongs to Edo, Kogi, Ondo
99. Ebu language belongs to Edo, Kogi
100. Efik language is spoken in Cross River
101. Egbema language belongs to Rivers
102. Egede (lgedde) language belongs to Benue
103. Eggon language belongs to Plateau
104. Egun (Gu) is used in -Lagos,Ogun
105.Ejagham is spoken in Cross River
106. Ekajuk is spoken in Cross River
107. Eket language is used in Akwa Ibom
108. Ekoi language is used in Cross River
109. Engenni (Ngene) language is used in Rivers
110. Epie is used in Rivers
111 Esan (Ishan) language is spoken in Edo
112. Etche language is spoken in Rivers
113. Etolu (Etilo) language is spoken in Benue
114. Etsako language is spoken in Edo
115. Etung language is used in -Cross River
116. Etuno language is used in –Edo
117. Palli language is used in Adamawa
118. Pulani (Pulbe) language is used in the following states: -Bauchi, jigawa, Kano, Borno, Kaduna, Katsina, Yobe,Kebbi , Niger, Sokoto and Taraba.
119. Fyam (Fyem) is spoken in Plateau
120. Ga’anda language is used in Adamawa
121. Gade language is used in –Niger
122. Galambi language is used in -Bauchi
123. Gamergu-Mulgwa language is used in -Borno
124. Qanawuri language is used in –Plateau
125. Gavako language is used in –Borno
126. Gbedde language is used in -Kogi
127. Gengle language is used in –Taraba
128. Geji language is used in Bauchi
129. Gera (Gere, Gerawa) is spoken in –Bauchi
130. Geruma (Gerumawa) is used in -Plateau
131. Geruma (Gerumawa) is used in –Bauchi
132. Gingwak is used in Bauchi
133. Gira is used in Adamawa
134. Gizigz is spoken in –Adamawa
135. Goernai is spoken in Plateau
136. Gokana (Kana) is spoken in Rivers
137. Gombi is spoken in –Adamawa
138. Gornun (Gmun) is spoken in Taraba
139. Gonia is spoken in -Taraba
140. Gubi (Gubawa) is spoken in Bauchi
141 Gude is spoken in Adamawa
142. Gudu is spoken in –Adamawa
143. Gure is spoken in kaduna
144. Gurmana is spoken in Niger
145. Gururntum is spoken in Bauchi
146. Gusu is spoken in Plateau
147. Gwa (Gurawa) is spoken in Adamawa
148. Gwamba is spoken in Adamawa
149.Gwandara is spoken in these states: Kaduna, Niger and Plateau
150. Gwari (Gbari) is spoken in these states: Kaduna, Niger, Abuja and Plateau
151. Gwom is spoken in Taraba
152. Gwoza (Waha) is spoken in –Borno
153. Gyem is spoken in Bauchi
154. Hausa is used in these states: Kano, Zamfara, Borno, Sokoto, Kaduna,Bauchi, Kastina, Kebbi, Niger,Taraba, Jigawa and Borno.
155. Higi (Hig)spoken in -Borno and Adamawa states.
156. Holma spoken in -Adamawa
157. Hona spoken in Adamawa
158. Ibeno spoken in Akwa lbom
159. Ibibio spoken in Akwa lbom
160. Ichen spoken in –Adamawa
161. Idoma spoken in Benue and Taraba
162. Igalla spoken in -Kogi
163. lgbo spoken in Delta, -Abia, Anambra, Benue, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo and Rivers
164. ljumu spoken in Kogi
165. Ikom spoken in Cross River
166. Ikwerre spike in Rivers
167. Irigwe spoken in Plateau
168. Isoko language is used by Delta indigenes.
169. lsekiri (Itsekiri) language belongs to Delta
170. lyala (lyalla) is used in Cross River
171. lzondjo is used in -Bayelsa, Delta, Rivers and Ondo.
172. Java is used in Kaduna
173. Jahuna (Jahunawa) is used in –Taraba
174. Jaku used in Bauchi
175. Jara (Jarawa-Dutse) used in Bauchi
176. Jere (Jera, Jerawa) used in Bauchi and Plateau states.
177. Jero used in Taraba
178. Jibu language used in –Adamawa
179. Jidda-Abu used in Plateau
180. Jimbin (Jimbinawa) used in Bauchi
181 Jirai used in Adamawa
182. Jonjo (Jenjo): language used in Taraba State.
183. Jukun: language used in -Bauchi, Taraba Benue and Plateau
184. Kaba(Kabawa) is used in Taraba
185. Kadara is used in -Taraba
186. Kafanchan is used in Kaduna
187. Kagoro is used in -Kaduna
188. Kaje (Kache) is spoken in Kaduna
189. Kajuru (Kajurawa) is used in –Kaduna
190. Kaka is used in Adamawa
191. Kamaku (Karnukawa) is spoken in -Kaduna, Kebbi and Niger
192. Kambari language is spoken in -Kebbi and Niger
193. Kambu language belongs to Adamawa indigenes
194. Kamo is used by –Bauchi indigenes.
195. Kanakuru (Dera) is used in both Adamawa and Borno
196. Kanembu is used in Borno
197 Kanikon is used in Kaduna
198. Kantana is used in Plateau
199. Kanuri is used in these states: Borno, Adamawa, kaduna plateau Yobe Jigawa, kano, Taraba and Niger.
200. Karekare (Karaikarai) is used in Bauchi and Yobe
201. Karimjo is used in -Taraba
202. Kariya is used in Bauchi
203. Katab (Kataf) is used in –Kaduna
204. Kenern (Koenoem) is used in –Plateau
205. Kenton is used in Taraba
206. Kiballo (Kiwollo) is used in Kaduna
207. Kilba is used in Adamawa
208. Kirfi (Kirfawa) is used in Bauchi
209. Koma is used in Taraba
210. Kona is used in Taraba
211. Koro (Kwaro) is used in -Kaduna, Niger
212 Kubi (Kubawa) is used in Bauchi
213. Kudachano (Kudawa) is used in -Bauchi
214. Kugama is used in Taraba
215. Kulere (Kaler) is used in Plateau
216. Kunini is used in Taraba
217. Kurama is used in Jigawa, Kaduna, Niger and Plateau states.
218. Kurdul is used in Adamawa
219. Kushi is used in Bauchi
220. Kuteb is used in Taraba
221. Kutin is used in Taraba
222. Kwalla is used in Plateau
223. Kwami (Kwom) is used in –Bauchi
224. Kwanchi is used in –Taraba
225. Kwanka (Kwankwa) is used in Bauchi and Plateau
226. Kwaro is used in Plateau
227. Kwato is used in Plateau
228. Kyenga (Kengawa) is used in -Sokoto
229. Laaru (Larawa) language is spoken in -Niger
230. Lakka language is used in Adamawa
231. Lala is used in Adamawa
232. Lama is used in Taraba
233. Lau is used in –Taraba
234. Ubbo is used in Adamawa
235. Limono is used in Bauchi and Plateau
236. Lopa (Lupa, Lopawa)is used in Niger
237. Longuda (Lunguda) is used in Bauchi and Adamawa.
238. Mabo is used inPlateau
239. Mada is used in Kaduna and Plateau
240. Mama is spoken in Plateau
241. Mambilla is used in Adamawa
242. Manchok is used in Kaduna
243. Mandara (Wandala) is used in Borno
244 Manga (Mangawa) is used in -Yobe
245. Margi (Marghi) is used in Adamawa and Borno
246. Matakarn is used in Adamawa
247. Mbembe is used in Cross River and Enugu
248. Mbol is used in Adamawa
249.is used in -Cross River
250. Mbula is used in Adamawa
251. Mbum is used in Taraba
252. Memyang (Meryan) is used in Plateau
253. Miango is used in Plateau
254. Miligili (Migili) is used in -Plateau
255. Miya (Miyawa) is used in Bauchi
256. Mobber is used in Borno
257. Montol is used in Plateau
258. Moruwa (Moro’a, Morwa) is used in Kaduna
259. Muchaila is used in Adamawa
260. Mumuye is used in Taraba
261. Mundang is used in Adamawa
262. Munga (Mupang) is used in –Plateau
263. Mushere is used in -Plateau
264. Mwahavul (Mwaghavul) is used in Plateau
265. Ndoro is used in Taraba
266. Ngamo is used in Bauchi and Yobe
267. Ngizim is used in -Yobe
268. Ngweshe (Ndhang.Ngoshe) is used in -Adamawa, and Borno
269. Ningi (Ningawa) is used in –Bauchi
270. Ninzam (Ninzo) is used in Kaduna, Plateau
271. Njayi is used in Adamawa
272. Nkim is used in -Cross River
273. Nkum is used in Cross River
274. Nokere (Nakere) is used in–Plateau
275. Nunku is used in both -Kaduna and Plateau
276. Nupe is spoken in Niger
277. Nyandang is used in Taraba
278. Ododop is used in Cross River
279. Ogoni is used in Rivers
280. Ogori is used in–Kwara
281. Okobo (Okkobor) is used in -Akwa lbom
282. Okpamheri is used in –Edo
283. Olulumo is used in Cross River
284. Oron is used in -Akwa lbom
285. Owan is used in Edo
286. Owe is used in Kwara
287. Oworo is used in Kwara
288. Pa’a (Pa’awa Afawa) is used in –Bauchi
289. Pai is used in Plateau
290. Panyam is used in Taraba
291. Pero is used in –Bauchi
292. Pire is used in –Adamawa
293. Pkanzom is used in Taraba
294. Polchi Habe -Bauchi
295. Pongo (Pongu) is used in –Niger
296. Potopo is used in Taraba
297. Pyapun (Piapung) is used in-Plateau
298. Qua is used in Cross River
299. Rebina (Rebinawa) is used i. –Bauchi
300. Reshe is used in Kebbi and Niger
301. Rindire (Rendre) is used in –Plateau
302. Rishuwa is used in –Kaduna
303. Ron is used in Plateau
304. Rubu is used in –Niger
305.Rukuba is used in –Plateau
306. Rumada is hard in –Kaduna
307. Rumaya –is used in Kaduna
308. Sakbe is used in -Taraba
309. Sanga is used in Bauchi
310. Sate is used in Taraba
311. Saya (Sayawa Za’ar) is used in. –Bauchi
312. Segidi (Sigidawa) is used in –Bauchi
313. Shanga (Shangawa) is used in –Sokoto
314. Shangawa (Shangau) is used in –Plateau
325. Shan-Shan is used in Plateau
326. Shira (Shirawa) is used in –Kano
327. Shomo is used in -Taraba
328. Shuwa is used in Adamawa and Borno
329. Sikdi is used in -Plateau
330. Siri (Sirawa) is used in Bauchi
331. Srubu (Surubu) is used in -Kaduna
332. Sukur is used in Adamawa
333. Sura is used in Plateau
334. Tangale is used in Bauchi
335. Tarok is used in Plateau, Taraba
336. Teme is used in Adamawa
337. Tera (Terawa) is used in both Bauchi and Borno
338. Teshena (Teshenawa) is used in -Kano
339. Tigon is used in Adamawa
340. Tikar is used in -Taraba
341. Tiv is used in Benue, Plateau, Taraba and Nasarawa
342. Tula is used in –Bauchi
343. Tur is used in –Adamawa
344. Ufia is used in Benue
345. Ukelle is used in Cross River
346. Ukwani (Kwale) is used in –Delta
347. Uncinda -is used in Kaduna,Niger Kebbi and Sokoto
348 Uneme (Ineme) is used in Edo
349. Ura (Ula) in spoken in Niger
350. Urhobo is used in Delta
351. Utonkong -belongs to people in Benue
352. Uyanga is used in Cross River
353. Vemgo is used in -Adamawa
354. Verre is used in –Adamawa
355. Vommi is used in Taraba
356. Wagga is used in Adamawa
357. Waka is used in Taraba
358. Warja (Warja) is used in Jigawa
359. Warji is used in -Bauchi
360. Wula is used in Adamawa
361. Wurbo is used in Adamawa
362. Wurkun belongs to Taraba
363. Yache belongs to Cross River
364. Yagba is used in Kwara
365. Yakurr (Yako) is used in Cross River
366. Yalla is used in Benue
367. Yandang is used in Taraba
368. Yergan (Yergum) is spoken in -Plateau
369. Yoruba is used by these states: -(Ekiti, Kwara,Osun Ogun, Ondo, Lagos, Oyo and Kogi)
370. Yott is a language of the –Taraba indigenes.
371. Yumu is used in Niger
372. Yungur is used in Adamawa
373. Yuom is used in Plateau
374. Zabara is used in Niger
375. Zaranda is spoken in BauchZarma (Zarmawa) is used in Kebbi
376. Zayam (Zeam) is used in -Bauchi
377. Zul (Zulawa) is used in –Bauchi