The topic is one for laughs as there are few Nigerian facts; the veracity of most things we do in Nigeria cannot be ascertained but we are a ‘feel-good’ people who love to use the word ‘fact’ a lot. So here are the 50 funny Nigerian facts that I know.
50 Interesting Random Facts about Nigeria(ns)
1. Yoruba Demons- Yoruba demons are not demons, it is a name given to young boys from the South west Region of Nigeria.
2. Nollywood is a name coined out of the first letter from the country’s name and Hollywood, it simply is the movie industry name in Nigeria.
3. Nigerians call all seasoning cubes ‘maggi’
4. Ijapa is the name of the Yoruba folklore hero who is a hero
5. Civil servants are treated like true servants in Nigeria
6. The present minimum wage monthly in Nigeria is around $35
7. The 100-0 Nigeria vs India football match is a myth.
8. Lagos traffic hold-up can cause migraine
9. The Fulani’s flog their prospective inlaws before marriage as endurance test
10. Military men call Nigerian civilians ‘bloody civilians!’
11. Police men on the road call bribes ‘roger’
12. Nigerians watch British Premier league than the local league
13. Nigerians call alcoholic drinks ‘Shayo’
14. Nigerians call Marijuana ‘Choko’
15. Bobrisky is a male not a she, just a cross dresser
16. Calabar girls are believed to be sex bombs
17. Chioma Jesus is more popular in Nigerian CD stores than Beyonce
18. Thierry Henry was called ‘Igwe’ in Nigeria
19. Nigerians refer to coke as minerals and not soda
20. When Nigerian children speak their local language in schools, it is called vernacular.
21. When Children see white people they sing Oyinbo pepper
22. Santa claus is a black man in Nigeria
23. Every Northerner is a Mallam(Lol)
24. Nigeria can fight war because of Jollof rice
25. Young Nigerians believe Wizkid is richer than Tony Elumelu (Lol)
26. Feminism equals Misandrism
27. Nigerians believed Dramendra could jump from 3 storey building
28. Nigerians believed Rambo can defeat any army.
29. We had a dancing Senator called Adeleke
30. Ajekun iya track was released by a Nigerian Senator, Dino Melaye
31. Though one of the poorest countries Nigeria is the highest champagne importer.
32. Nigerians fear SARS more than armed robbers
33. Nigerians self medicate without proper medical tests
34. There are more churches than factories in Nigeria
35. There are more mosques than orphanages in Nigeria
36. Religious heads are richer than most businessmen in Nigeria
37. Sex is seen as a taboo for women but same doesn’t apply for men
38. 419 means scam
39. Yahoo is the name for a young fraudulent man
40. Maga is the name a fraud victim is called
41. Davido is the son of a Nigerian billionaire businessman
42. Wizkid started his music career with empire mates owned by Banky W
43. Nigerians were warned about the Ponzi scheme MMM but still fell for the bait
44. Fuji is Nigeria rock and roll
45. Most Christians and Muslims in Nigeria still consult native doctors and herbalists
46. Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are not the only languages in Nigeria
47. Burantashi is an aphrodisiac from the Northern part of Nigeria
48. Nigeria has not had a population census in over 10years
49. The American consulate in Nigerian receives more people than Aso rock daily
50. Most Nigerians will go to church and mosque for the first time on Christmas and new year.
Merry Xmas and Happy New year