Today’s article will be loaded because you will get to know all about the DSS and not just their salary structure but their entire structure.
The full meaning of DSS is Department of State Security Service, the DSS was established on the 1st of May 2004 by law 14 of 2004.
It was established to ensure that Nigeria has a central and effective security organization with integrity capable of preventing, detecting, deterring, disrupting and where appropriate investigating serious crime and anti-corruption at all levels in Nigeria.
Its major responsibility is to protect the fundamental freedom as guaranteed under the 1999 Constitution and other laws in Nigeria.
“The DSS has a total strength of 6, 044 as at September 2014. The Director-General is assisted by six Deputy Directors Generals (DDGs) and 33 Assistant Directors Generals (ADGs). All the DDGs are assisted by three DDG/Special Assistants while each ADG is assisted by two ADG/Special Assistants.”
“In addition, the DSS has 37 Commissioners; 78 Superintendents; 2,027 Inspectors; 1,665 Sergeants; 741 Corporals; 115 Lance-corporals; 287 Drivers Class II and IIIs; 43 Doctors including Psychiatrists, Physicians and Dentists and 949 civilian staff.”
Formation of the DSS
The DSS comprises of several units and they are :
1. The Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) Unit
2. The Communications Security Monitoring and Cryptographic Examination Unit
3. The Penetration, Surveillance and Interception (PSI) Team
4. The Escort Protection Group (EPG)
5. VIP Security Detail/Protection Formation or Formation DSSCO of the Presidency
6. The Marine Unit
7. Air Wing Formation (AWF)
8. The Special Protection Formation or Formation DSSPF of the Presidency
9. The Presidential Task Force on Infrastructure Security (PTFIS)
10. The Presidential Quick Response Team (QRT).
In addition to these units, there are also other units/formation but these do not report to DSS. These units are :
11. The Presidential Security Formation (PSF) which is the unit under the Ministry of Defence and Military Relations that provides security for both the President, Vice President, their families and immediate members of government; and
12. The Police Formation that provides physical security at official residences.
These units report to the Director General of the DSS who is appointed by the President. In his absence, one of his deputies would be acting director general. The deputy directors are responsible for administration, operations, and training of their respective units/formation and there office is equivalent in rank to a commissioner of police while they hold office.
The DSS perform the following functions and they are as follows:
1. Protection of the President, Vice-President, their families and other high profile personalities such as visiting Heads of State, Ambassadors, Permanent Representatives to the United Nations;
2. To provide protection to facilities (e.g., Government House), important people (e.g., diplomats), and properties of national importance;
3. To provide Personal Protection Specialists (PSS) to act as a close personal protection detail for the above people, by following their respective principals 24 hours-a-day. The PSSs are drawn from all formations and units;
4. To investigate any matter or complaint of breaches of security concerning the protective function;
5. VIP escort;
6. To detect, investigate and prevent any organized criminal activities against the State;
7. To participate in public ceremonies as required and to provide protection at designated public places;
8. To provide physical security for all DSS facilities. The list of these facilities are classified information;
9. To maintain a database of sensitive location information and access to sensitive installations;
10. To collect, collate, analyze and disseminate information relating to security threats and vulnerabilities in the country;
11. To investigate and prevent acts of terrorism or sabotage against Nigerian oil facilities. The Director-General is responsible for planning and conducting operations to defend all critical national infrastructure including pipelines, refineries, ports and oil facilities against terrorist threats. The targets include all the refineries in Nigeria;
12. To provide security services to government’s strategic installations;
13. To carry out investigations into cases of illegal importation and smuggling of arms, ammunition and other dangerous items into the country;
14. To provide training on protection, intelligence and investigation techniques;
15. To provide training on physical security; and
16. To provide the necessary advice, guidance and assistance to other government agencies or private institutions requiring protective services.”
The salary structure of the DSS
You need to understand that the salary or how much each DSS earn is a very classified information but they earn between N10,000 – N250,000 per month.
The Salary structure is based on your academic background and years of service.
Here are the Salary structures that will guide you to know how much you will earn in this institution:
STAFF RANKS Salary Structure
Basic Salary (Grade 1) – (N18,913.38 X 5%) = N11,300.64 -N14,523.38 Monthly Pay- N52,800 – N60,374
Basic Salary (Grade 2) =(N19,093.23 X5%)=N11,488.19-N15405 .65 Monthly Pay– N53 520 – 60 068 Basic Salary Grade 3 (N19,363.22 X 5%)= N11,663.45 -N15 890.31 Monthly Pay-N54 044 – 60 468
Basic Salary Grade 4= (N19 963 .60 X5%) = N12 ,154.32 – N16 180 .40 Monthly Salary- N55 488 – 61 368 Basic Salary Grade 5 (20 274 .13X5 %)= N12 ,624.86– 16 696.61 Monthly Salary-N56 960 – 62 448
Basic Salary Grade 6 (20 560 .50X5 %) = N 13 ,061 .32– 17 161 .78 Monthly Salary-N 58 504 – 63 440 Basic Salary Grade 7 (20 845 .88 X 5 %) = N13 ,500.70– 17 646.43 Monthly Salary – N 60 000 – 64 008
Basic Salary (Grade 8 )(21 192 .47X5 % )=N13 ,946.91–18 065.39 Monthly Salary- N 62 504 – 65 544 Basic Salary Grade 9 (21 567 .05 X5%) =N14,406.26– 18 469.72Monthly Salary-N64000 – 66004
Basic Salary Grade 10 (21 961 .53X5%)= N 14,932 .98– 18 999 .90 Monthly Salary- O 65 000 – 67 500
Basic Salary Grade 11 (22 356 .78 X5 %) = N 15,524 .74– 19 566.24 Monthly Salary-N 67 500 – 69 000
Basic Salary Grade 12 (22 788 .08X5%)= N 16,149 .60 – 20 111 .62 Monthly Salary-N 69 000 – 70 500
Basic Salary (Grade 13 )(23 211 .40 X 5 %)= N 16 ,740.00 – 20 642.80 Monthly Salary -N 70 000 – 71 500
Basic Salary Grade 14( 23 663 .60 X 5 %) = N 17 ,261.20 – 21 117.32Monthy Salary -N71500 – 72000
Like we said the salary structure of the DSS is classified but we have been able to dig deep to get you how they are being paid according to their level and ranks in the service, kindly help share this write up with your social media network.